Many people I photograph tell me "I look terrible in photos, or I'm not photogenic". At least half of the families I photograph say this. They are always surprised by how great they look. Why is this? In this blog, we will go over 5 reasons why you are more photogenic than you think.
5 Reasons You Are More Photogenic Than You Think
1. You Are Too Stressed Out About Your Photos
- When you relax and have fun your photos reflect this. This helps you look more photogenic.
- Everyone looks their best when they are having a good time. I always have fun during your session and make sure you are also having a good time.
- My job as your photographer is to get the best out of you. I always have a trick up my sleeve if something isn't working.
- When I work with a family, I take every opportunity to make connections with you so you're relaxed and comfortable.
- When you’re having a great time, you’ll look more beautiful than you thought was possible.
2. You Have The Wrong Mindset
- Come to your portrait session with the right mindset.
- Know you will look great in your photos.
- Don't worry about the few extra pounds you couldn't shed or you didn't have time to get your hair done.
- Keep in mind the purpose of this family session is to capture memories of this time in your life.
- The lens through which you see yourself is oftentimes different than what other people see.
3. You Didn't Have Good Coaching & Guidance
- During a professional portrait session, you should be coached and guided the whole time.
- Posing tricks can make anyone look great, and that does not involve photoshop.
- We are experts in facial expressions and posing. This means we get you to look natural and authentic.
- Posing doesn't come naturally to most people. That is why we guide you through the photoshoot. Specifically, we tell you where to place your feet, hands, head, etc.
- Don't be surprised when you hear me say "puppet and chicken". You will laugh but the results are stunning.
4. Selfies Never Do You Justice
- Don't judge yourself with a selfie. They are the worst. Portrait photographers would never photograph you from an arm's length. That would be weird.
- Do compare your selfie photos to a professional portrait. Do you notice the differences?
- Smartphone lenses are wide-angle. They make your nose look big, your eyes bulge, and forehead look miles long. This is the exact opposite type of lens I would use for a professional portrait.
- During a professional portrait session, the camera used will produce greater results than a selfie portrait. The lighting, posing, and equipment we use will make all the difference in the world.
5. You Didn't Have A Plan
- Plan and prepare for your session. Get more planning tips here
- The old saying "you get out what you put into it" also applies to your portrait session.
- Together we will plan your session. Important details like location, the best time of day, and planning your outfits.
- Refer to our style guide for inspiration on what to wear.
- Decide the style and look that fits your family's personality.
- Begin planning with the desired results. Will you print the photos to hang on your wall? Capture your memories with a custom photo album? Or let them sit on your computer for years?
The Bottom Line
- We hope these 5 reasons you are more photogenic than you think will help you feel more confident in your photos.
- Our goal is to create beautiful portraits of you and your family that reflect your personalities and will be loved and cherished forever.
- The best family portraits come from sessions where everyone was involved in the planning and had a great time.
- We promise to make your family portrait session a fun and relaxing experience.
- See more of our favorite family photos on our Pinterest page.
Your first step is to reach out to us to help put together your plan