7 tips to create an amazing online dating profile
Want success in online dating? You will need 2 things. Great photos and a kick-ass profile. Learn the best way to write your dating profile that will attract the people you want to meet. Follow these 7 tips to create an amazing online dating profile without feeling overwhelmed. We break it down so you can put your best digital foot forward. Below you will find online dating profile tips and advice that pretty much apply to every dating service. Give it a try. Whether you’re on Hinge, Jdate, Tinder, or you prefer a site like match.com. We know there are more dating apps out there and are confident these tips will work with any platform. Learn more about Christopher Todd Studios’ online dating photography.
1. How many photos should I use in my profile?
This first tip to create an amazing online dating profile is important to follow. We recommend using 5-7 photos. More than 7 will just be an overload. Keep in mind that you will be limited on space and a great photo can really tell a story and say a lot about you.
Clear headshot– This means use a professional headshot in your profile. In this photo, you should be smiling and looking at the camera. No sunglasses. The purpose of this photo is for people to see what you look like up close. It shows the viewer you are not hiding anything. Choose a plain background. Your attire can be casual to professional. For women: keep the makeup simple. As a general rule of thumb avoid loud busy colors and patterns. These can be very distracting to the viewer. This applies to both men and women. Get professional headshot tips from Christopher Todd.
Full body shot- This is very important. Always include a full body shot of yourself. You should be the only one in the photo. Choose an outfit that you look and feel great in. Show off those curves, or let people see your height. It shows people you are not hiding something. Eventually when you meet in person expectations will be realistic.
Lifestyle shots-Have fun with these portraits. This is your opportunity to tell a story through your photo. Communicate who you are and what you are about. Let them know your hobbies, favorite activities, or passion with this photo. This can also be a great conversation starter. Example: A picture of you golfing or surfing can spark a question. Be sure to keep these photos of just you. Group shots are distracting and use up valuable time. When there is already a limited amount of time getting someone’s attention, don’t split it with other people in your photos. Avoid the possibility of having the viewer inquire about your friend in the photo. This does happen.
Try to avoid selfies if possible, but if you must only use one. Make sure it says something about you in the photo. Like a selfie from a recent hike of you at the top of the mountain.
2. What should I write in my dating profile?
- Honest, genuine statements and answers that are true to you.
- Seems logical enough but many people try to be witty or funny. This can end up sounding disingenuous or fake.
- Be short and concise when describing yourself. There is a limited amount of space on apps like Tinder and Hinge.
- String together a bunch of descriptors. Example: Chocolate lover. World traveler. Coffee fanatic. Lover of dogs.
- The goal is to pack as much information as you can.
- Descriptors help the viewer decide if you have something substantial in common.
3. Use the space they give you
- Each platform has its own maximum characters allowed. It’s usually between 150 -300 words. This is perfect, not too short, not too long.
- Answer every question with complete thoughtful responses.
- Be sure to use the entire space and put effort into it.
- Don’t just give one-word answers. This looks like you don’t really care about meeting someone.
4. Use a conversational starter
Example: Defending champion of darts. Haven’t lost a game in years. Or, I can beat anyone at scrabble.
- A statement like this gives people an opening to respond to a challenge.
- A playful statement can go a long way.
- When you talk about what you are interested in it will attract people like-minded.
- Give your answers context.
- Don’t just say: I like art. Instead say: “I am always on the lookout for my next art piece to go with my current collection. My favorite one hanging on my wall is from a local art exhibit.” This statement lets the reader know you like art and gives them an opportunity to learn more about you.
- Statements like these will attract the right type of person instead of the wrong one.
- Don’t recommend coming right out and saying “Don’t message me if you just want to hook up.” instead try looking for opportunities to explain who you are and what you want. For example: if you are looking for someone who wants to go to musicals and plays share that you want to experience specific things together. This will help deter the wrong person and attract someone who has the same interests as you.
5. Avoid cliches
- Don’t get caught up in the ”I don’t know what to say here” as one of your answers.
- Or “I like the outdoors.”
- Focus on what makes you different from everyone else.
- When writing about yourself think about past experiences rather than facts.
- Don’t just say: I love to hike.
Instead: Talk about your experience last summer when you hiked mount Whitney and how you are hoping to do another similar hike in the future. This will tell your viewer you like to hike and would love to find a partner to go with. It also gives them an opportunity to connect with you.
6. Choose the right question
- Sights like Hinge have you pick questions for your profile.
- Be sure to choose the question that fits you best.
- Avoid choosing questions that you think other people will want to read.
- Only pick the ones that interest you. Your response will be more genuine and will attract the right reader.
- Read through all the questions it only takes 3-5 minutes. As you are going through them if the answer doesn’t come to you quickly move on to the next one.
- If the answer doesn’t pop in your head naturally it is the wrong question for you.
- Do not give a one-word answer. Hinge has a max of 150 characters. Use up the entire space. It is really not much.
7. Keep these tips in mind when writing your online dating profile
Avoid overusing sentences that begin with I. Instead, try a transitional word to bridge your sentence.
Here are some examples:
|Don’t write||Do write|
|I like to surf.||In addition to camping, I like to surf.|
|I enjoy golfing.||Besides surfing, I also enjoy golfing.|
|I love to hike.||Even though I love to hike, I am always open to discovering other activities.|
Know your audience
- It is better to appeal to small audiences rather than a large range of people.
- Stick with what you know and attract like-minded people.
- If you think about it you actually want to repel 99% of the viewers to get in front of the select few who be of interest to you.
Focus on you rather than being funny
- Being natural is more important than being clever or witty.
- If your story is funny it will appear that way naturally.
- Write with a genuine tone and the true you will come out.
Don’t ask for the obvious
- Of course, you want to meet someone who is honest and loyal.
- This is reasonable to want in a relationship but you shouldn’t have to ask for them.
- Stating you want to meet someone who doesn’t play games and can be monogamous can be a telling sign to the reader you are still dealing with past issues and are not over them yet.
- Be careful when describing your ideal partner. You should still be open to a certain element of surprise.
When you follow these 7 tips to create an amazing online dating profile you will have a better chance at finding like-minded people and attract more viewers to your profile. If you still want more help with your profile, try a ghostwriter service like Profilehelper.com.